Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society

 Whats New  |  Events Calendar  |  Contact Us!  |  Site Map  |  Home   
About Us | Board / Staff | Sketch | Calendar of Events | Privacy Statement | Public Policies | Membership | Location | Contact Us
KCHSoc Publications | Resource Publications | Recent Acquisitions | Probate Records | Genealogical Research | Program Volunteers
Museum Displays | Callaway Timeline | Window Display | Children's Area
Cemetery Preservation | Photo Archival | Digitization | Kingdom Notes | Court Records | Heritage Education | Tradition Preservation
History of Fulton | Legend of 'Kingdom' | Rangers Burial | History of Callaway | Schools | Churches | Articles | Callaway Features
Historic Cultural Resources | USGS-GNIS | Fulton Historic | Historic Schools | Historic Churches | Black Churches | Cemeteries | Alternate Cemeteries
Callaway County Library | State Archives | Callaway County Government | Fulton City Government | More Links

  Tebbetts Area Page

Callaway County, Missouri


Tebbetts Methodist Church
 Callaway County, Missouri

Tebbetts Methodist church, founded in 18XX, provides the meeting place for the Tebbetts Area History Group. The Tebbetts Area History Group was formally founded in June, 2002 to document and preserve, and present the rich history of the Cote Sans Dessein area of Southern Callaway County, Missouri.

The French explorers were not only the first white men who ascended the Missouri River; but Frenchmen were the pioneer settlers along the banks of that stream, from a period so early that its' date is merged into the mythical and legendary. Many of the old towns that where founded by these pioneers are still standing - the history of a number of these going back to the middle and latter part of the eighteenth century. Cote Sans Dessein was the first settled place in Callaway County, Missouri, is one of these towns, and was settled before the beginning of the nineteenth century, the exact date is not known. It was known to have its' existance as early as 1803, and men who saw the town in 1815, some of whom were the original settlers of the County, said at that time the town had an old appearance. Cote Sans Dessein, which signifies "hill without design" in French, was a French trading post and derives its' name from its' location near an immense rock which, in remote ages, had been separated by some convulsion, from its kindred rocks on the other side of the Missouri River, and left like a solitary sentinel in the alluvial plain of the river. This rock is about one mile in length, rises to an average height of sixty feet, and is, perhaps, three hundred feet in thickness at its' base.

The early inhabitants of Cote Sans Dessein lived mostly by trapping and trading with the Indians of the area. They had gardens which were principally cultivated by the women, who raised a few vegetables; but did not carry on the business of farming. Through the encroachments of the river, the town has entirely disappeared, and there are no descendants, even of the first French settlers now alive, who have preserved, with any degree of certainty, the traditions of their fathers. Many of these French surnames still persist in the Cote Sans Dessein area of Southern Callaway County. Survey number 1837, upon which the village stood, was granted by the Spanish government to Baptiste Douchouquette in 1800. This survey was confirmed in 1814, to Douchouquette, who, in 1816, deeded it to Pierre Choteau, of St. Louis. When commissioners on the permanent seat of government for the new state of Missouri were appointed, they selected Cote Sans Dessein as the site of the State Capital; but owing to uncertainty and confusion of land titles, the idea was abandoned and the present site of Jefferson City was selected as the site for the new State Capitol.

Barkersville This village was settled in 1867. It was located on the northeast quarter of Sec. 23, Twp. 44 N, R. 10 W. Population 75. It was on the Missouri River, opposite to Osage City (Cole Co.) twenty-three miles south of Fulton, and nine miles east of Jefferson City; it had a steam saw and grist mill, a Methodist Church and district school, C. W. Ball, portable saw mill; E. M. Bryson, physician; Peter Cristy, carpenter; R. H. Crow & Co., general store; Jiss Kate Fuls, milliner. With the floods of the late 1880's and decline of steamboat traffic, the population of the village began to decline and with the completion of the KATY Railroad in 1895, most of the balance of the population left for the communities of Tebbetts and Wainwright which were situated along the railroad. The destruction of Barkersville was completed with the flood of 1903 and no traces of Barkersville now remain in that location. (--Callaway Co., 169; Campbell's Gaz. of Mo., 98 N.)

Cote Sans Dessein Cote Sans Dessein (a hill without design) is the site of an ancient French village. This place has its name from an isolate hill that is standing, as if by accident, on the river-bank in an extensive bottom...The village of Cote Sans Dessein was settled in 1808, and was once a populous place. The old inhabitants have generally removed across the Missouri and settled there. This ancient village had its share in the Indian wars incident to the settlement of the country... (--Wetmore's Gazetteer of the State of MO., 1837, 47.) The commissioners to locate a permanent seat of justice for Missouri at one time looked favorably upon Cote Sans Dessein as a site for the capital, but owing to doubt as to the title of the place abandoned it in favor of Jefferson City. (--Conard, Vol. 1, 471.)

Effie Effie was east of Tebetts on M. K. & T. R. R. (--Map of MO., 1910, Kenyon Co., Des Moines, IA.) It was situated in section 33 Township 45N Range 09W on the North side of the KATY railroad. It consisted of several houses and a post office.

Hord Hord was a post-office twenty miles south of Fulton, located on the Missouri River near Cote Sans Dessein, and named after Richard Hord. (--Callaway Co., 169.)

Hord's Landing In 1881 a store was established by John W. Hord on the banks of the Missouri River, while the river was still the primary means of transportation. It lies to the Southeast of present day Tebbetts in section 4 Township 44N Range 09W. As a result of its' popularity with the river trade a number of houses sprang up around it. It was destroyed in the flood of 1903. The site of Hord's Landing is now inland in the river bottoms due to a change in the course of the river following the flood of 1903.

Tebbetts It is located in the southern portion of the county, east of Wainwright, on M. K. & T. R. R. (--Map of MO., 1971, Murphy.) It is situated on Sec. 32, Twp. 44 N, R. 9 W on Highway 94

Wainwright On land, in Section 16 Township 44N Range 10W, originally patented by John G. Boyd and passed to the Link family with the marriage of Martha Boyd to Thomas L. Link, a small community named Linkville began to form in the mid 1870's. The community of Wainwright, formerly known as Linkville, formed around a store located there with the construction of the KATY Railroad in 1895 and grew to meet the needs of the surrounding area. Wainwright was renamed from Linkville in honor of an individual whose name was Wainwright and sat on the board of the KATY Railroad. It consisted primarily of a store, church, school, railroad depot, post office, and approximately twenty-two houses. It is situated just North of Highway 94 and the KATY Railroad line, approximately six miles East of Jefferson City, just East of Rivaux Creek.

Dearing's Steamboat Landing An area, not formally a community, situated on the West end of Cote Sans Dessein hill, that grew as a result of the Steamboat Landing at that location. Also was the residence of Captain Dearing, steamboat pilot from the area and a number of other homes. The site of the steamboat landing is now inland in the river bottoms due to a change in the course of the river following the flood of 1903.

About Us | Site Map | Home | e-mail Webmaster |   ©2006 - Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society